This is a delicious fish stew with a kick of heat that happens to be low in fat. It's the perfect dish for a chilly winter night! Serve this stew with a loaf of crusty bread to absorb the scrumptious sauce.
Spicy Gremolata Base
- 2 shallots, coarsely chopped
- 1 Fresno chile pepper, chopped
- 1 Jalapeño pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3/4 cup flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 anchovy filets, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 fennel bulb, sliced
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, cored and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 gold potatoes, peeled and diced into small pieces
- 1/2 can Island Coastal Lager (6 oz)
- 1 (28-oz) diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pound cod, cut into chunks
- Spicy Gremolata Base: Put the shallots, Fresno pepper, Jalapeño pepper, lemon zest, garlic, parsley leaves/stems and thyme in a food processor and process ingredients into paste.
- Stew: In a Dutch oven, heat the EVOO and anchovies over medium-high heat. When the anchovies combine into the oil, add the spicy gremolata base and stir 3 to 4 minutes. Add the celery, potatoes, and red pepper and cover the pot for 5 minutes; stir occasionally. Remove lid, pour in beer, and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add tomatoes, chicken stock, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil then simmer for 25-30 minutes.*
- Slowly bring stew back to a boil, nestle the cod into the liquid, and cook for 5 to 6 minutes, until the fish is opaque and cooked through. Turn off the heat and serve immediately with crusty bread.
*If making ahead, cool and store. Reheat over medium-high heat.