This braised chicken and vegetable dish is rustic, flavorful and exceptionally tasty! The sweet carrots, savory onions and earthy celery are very simple ingredients that give this chicken dish a magical flavor. The divine aroma and tasty fall-off-the-bone chicken will remind you of Homefed cooking. Serve this dish for a fall/winter dinner party with friends, Sunday family dinner or date night for two (and have enough for leftovers)!
If you're a visual learner, here's a TikTok to follow along with. Cheers!
- 8-10 medium skinless organic chicken thighs, cut off fat
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, seasoning
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons plus 5 tablespoons unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 2 medium yellow onions roughly chopped
- 6 to 8 tri-colored carrots peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 10 to 12 tri-colored petite potatoes cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3 to 4 celery stalks, cut in ¼ inch chunks
- Two 12-oz cans of Island Coastal Lager
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tbsp packed brown sugar
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp dried Spice Islands thyme
- 1 tbsp of dried Italian spice blend
- 1 tbsp Ajika Georgian Seasoning Blend or paprika + garlic powder spice blend
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Chopped parsley for garnish
Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper. Place a large Le Creuset Dutch Oven over medium heat and add the oil; sear chicken thighs until golden on both sides, about 2-3 minutes each side. Transfer chicken to a plate with the drippings from the pot. With the heat still on medium, add 2 tablespoons butter, melt butter and add the onions, cook until golden about 5 minutes. Add the carrots, potatoes, celery, Island Coastal Lager, chicken broth, brown sugar, Dijon mustard, tomato paste, thyme, Italian spice blend, Ajika Georgian seasoning blend (or paprika + garlic powder) and Italian spice blend. Stir to combine. Return the chicken to the pot, submerge the thighs in the liquid and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low and gently simmer. Cover for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, and uncover for another 20 minutes.
In a heatproof bowl, mix the remaining 5 tablespoons butter and the flour. Use back of a fork to mash butter + flour and mix until a thick paste is formed. Slowly whisk 2 cups of the liquid from the stew into the flour-butter mixture until completely combined. Add the flour/butter mixture to the pot, stirring constantly. Once the flour mixture is fully mixed in, simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the chicken thighs are cooked through and the potatoes and carrots are tender, about 10 minutes. Total cooking time is about 45 minutes.
Serve braised chicken and vegetables in a low bowl or plate, pour sauce over and sprinkle with parsley. Enjoy!